Assistant Vice President for University Marketing
As the university’s senior marketing strategist, this position works closely with the Provost and the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management & Marketing to set the tone for stewardship of our brand, internally and externally. Our department operates very much like an agency within the university, serving many stakeholders. We consult, we create and we take the initiative to engage with everyone from prospective students and alumni to faculty and staff and the general public about the strides we’re making as an institution and the tremendous impact Texas State has in the world. Our team is built on collaboration. You will lead a group of talented and imaginative creatives who work across multiple media platforms to tell the Texas State story. We debate about Central Texas barbecue, music and movies, and produce work that delights our partners and makes us proud.
- Develop and lead a five-year strategic marketing plan from ideation to tactical execution, measurement and improvement. Work collaboratively with Admissions, administration, University Advancement and the various academic colleges to build and execute synergistic plans that map to Texas State University’s strategic plan and goals.
- Partner and collaborate with Undergraduate Admissions and The Graduate College in support of recruitment strategies and campaigns.
- Manage a team of marketing and creative professionals responsible for a wide range of complex marketing collateral and digital programs for campus divisions and departments. Take an engaged approach to coaching, mentoring and guiding the marketing team in an effort to increase the capabilities and effectiveness of this group, including setting clear performance management objectives, and aggressively evaluating the structure, resources and capabilities to provide a proactive, agile, partner-focused resource for the department and university.
- Lead the execution of tactics to activate and drive engagement across a range of audiences. Apply marketing skills, including content marketing, SEO, paid advertising (SEM, digital programmatic, paid social), analytics, marketing automation and landing page optimization.
- Develop cross-channel digital media strategies that deepen the university’s engagement and drives recruitment with priority audiences.
- Create marketing campaigns that leverage and support the brand. Ensure that a consistent brand message and image of Texas State University is established throughout all university marketing.
- Build, maintain and use metrics and other tracking systems to evaluate and tune the effectiveness of marketing efforts; and track and assess institutions in our competitive set to ensure Texas State University is best in class for marketing.
- Demonstrated success in relevant leadership roles in marketing required; a solid mix of public/private industry, higher education and nonprofit experience desired. A proven track record of success in working in highly complex, decentralized matrix environments is desired; experience in a major media market is a plus.
- Data-driven expertise in marketing, branding and digital tactics. Experience in developing lead generation strategies is highly desirable.
- Experience working with communications teams and/or departments in support of unified brand messaging is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement innovative marketing techniques in an environment in which budgets are constrained.
- Proven success in managing, motivating and supporting creative people and building a cohesive marketing unit. Experience with identifying talent, building teams and recommending appropriate staffing models to support overall goals and objectives.
- Experience working with technology teams including a working knowledge of CRM systems. Working knowledge of backend website development practices.
- Effective leader, who is adept at managing change, can build strong relationships with people from diverse areas of the university and inspire those outside their direct sphere of control.
- Ability to make informed decisions and get measurable results.
- Intellectual horsepower to drive and reward new ideas and calculated risk-taking.
- Capability to be forward-looking and eager to try new or groundbreaking strategies.
- Proven expertise as both a strategic thinker and a project manager with a keen ability to synchronize the two.
- Demonstrated ability to direct outside business partners and service providers. Ability to work in an organization with multiple divisions.
- Ability to work at a very high level with leadership across the university on academic and non-academic efforts.
- Team player; ability to work collaboratively with others; good listener. Someone who has high energy/drive, a relentlessly positive attitude.
- Catalyst for change: someone who is willing to challenge the status quo and has well-thought-out recommendations and ideas.